[swift-evolution] Discussion: Move range (..., ..<) to a range() function

Donnacha Oisín Kidney oisin.kidney at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 15:06:46 CST 2015

Personally, I think that the range operator is easier to understand than a free range function. People who already program might find it easier to understand a free function rather than ..<, which looks like special syntax, but I think beginners (especially in Python, actually) are really floored by range functions. Take, for example:

range(5)

To someone unfamiliar with the function, it could (quite reasonably) mean:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
0, 1, 2, 3, 4
None of the above

In fact, for people unfamiliar with programming, I’d say that the correct answer is the least obvious. Compare that to:

0..<5

or:

0...4

I think the operator is much easier to understand, and more than makes up for the disadvantages associated with extra operators.

That said, I do think that Strideable is a little unclear. I can’t think of a much better option, though. Maybe something like:

extension Range where Element: Strideable {
  public func by(n: Element.Stride) -> StrideTo<Element> {
    return startIndex.stride(to: endIndex, by: n)
(0..<10).by(2) // [0, 2, 4, 6, 8]

But I’d also want that to work as a subscript.