[swift-evolution] Proposal: Implement == and < for tuples where possible, up to some high arity

Andrew Bennett cacoyi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 18:29:56 CST 2015

I'd love to see a type like tuple<(A,B,C),D>, that is equivalent to
(A,B,C,D).
Also you could have functions on the tuple:

for (A,B,C,D,E,F):

func prefix<A,B,C,...>() -> (A,B,C)
func suffix<...,D,E,F>() -> (D,E,F)

Then you may be able to do something like this:
func ==<A:tuple<>, B: tuple<>, where A: Equatable, B:Equatable>(lhs:
tuple<A,B>, rhs: tuple<A,B>) {
    return ls.prefix() as A == rhs.prefix() as A && lhs.suffix() as B ==
rhs.suffix() as B
}
extension tuple<Equatable,Equatable>: Equatable {}

The downside I can see for that is that it will match the same tuple n
different ways. You can overcome this by only allowing tuple<A,B> to append
a single element, but it's less useful. Alternatively it will always match
the function with the most elements in the left-most argument, and cannot
match against the empty tuple.