[swift-evolution] Proposal: Allow class cluster pattern via dynamic initializer return type

Riley Testut rileytestut at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 14:44:29 CST 2015

Personally, I think enforcing factory methods is a way of leaking implementation details; there is no reason why the consumer of the API should have to question whether they should use an initializer or a factory method, because they shouldn't need to think about it at all. Especially in my case, this is used quite frequently, so having to remember to use a factory method for all necessary types is just annoying.

Imagine if NSString used factory methods instead of initializers. It'd be far less convenient, because you'd have to mentally note that you *can't* initialize that class directly. Blech.