[swift-evolution] access control proposal

Ilya ilya at harmonicsense.com
Mon Dec 7 07:17:43 CST 2015

My main proposal was not to change the semantics of private (although I
would like that) but to introduce a way to keep class implementation
details inaccessible to anything outside the class. I think that it should
still be possible and useful to have the current level of sharing (I would
just name it differently, given what private usually means in other
languages).

Just as it is convenient to group several related classes that can refer to
each other's implementation details, it is very convenient to have several
classes that don't do this but are still related in other important way,
for example related APIs or classes that are based on the same
implementation idea (like array based data structures).

Having all code in one place rather than jumping through many small files
is a very nice thing to have because it really helps to keep everything
consistent. The more manual work people have to do for consistency, the
more likelihood that it won't be done.