[swift-evolution] (5.391):Re: Proposal: Remove the "fallthrough" keyword

jalkut at red-sweater.com jalkut at red-sweater.com
Sun Dec 6 17:06:03 CST 2015

> On Dec 6, 2015, at 4:14 PM, Jacopo Andrea Giola via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> And if I remember correctly Daniel Jakult was the first one to made this proposal so if he wants to take on and then made the official proposal has every right to do so and I will be very glad if my gist can be a first reference :)

Hi Jacopo - I have been interested to read the counter-arguments to my proposal to remove the keyword.

I’m also glad it helped to spark a proposal to try to refine the behavior with some kind of "reswitch" mechanism, but I don’t have any passion for pushing that particular proposal along.

My motivation in proposing to remove the fallthrough keyword was that it makes sense to be judicious about language features and keywords especially while the language is young. The feature still seems questionable to me, but if the prevailing opinion is that "fallthrough" or a similar case-jumping mechanism is worth keeping, then I respect that and will not be pushing my original proposal any further.

Daniel