[swift-evolution] A mode with no type checking to compete with Python.

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Sat Dec 5 18:05:23 CST 2015

> Doesn’t Apple want to teach young people programming as one of its goals? If so, having a mode without type safety would be ideal for that.

Frankly, I can’t even imagine what Swift would look or act like without its type system. Would overloading work? What would happen if you added a String and an Int? What if you called a method that didn’t exist? Is it really better for learning to half-run the code and then crash instead of pointing out the mistake up front? Couldn’t you simulate half-running anyway by replacing syntax errors with `fatalError(“compiler error goes here”)` and running the code?

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies