[swift-evolution] Expanded support for numeric types in stdlib?

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Dec 3 16:05:55 CST 2015

On Dec 3, 2015, at 1:14 PM, Austin Zheng <austinzheng at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There are quite a few programming languages that provide support for numeric types apart from the customary floating-point and fixed-width integer types. Prominent examples of additional numeric types include rational numbers, arbitrary-width integer types, and fixed-point numbers. Many of these numeric types are applicable to a wide variety of problem domains.

Hi Austin, great to hear from you:

It would be great to consider this.  We’ve specifically recently discussed BigInt support, for example.

One of the things that we’d like to see for Swift 3 is a revised set of numerics protocols, to make it possible to write generic numeric algorithms.  One concern I have with this is that abstracting over (e.g.) IEEE and rational numbers may overly complicate the protocols necessary to get simple things done.

-Chris