[swift-evolution-announce] [Accepted] SE-0039: Modernizing Playground Literals

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Mar 10 12:14:31 CST 2016

Proposal Link: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0039-playgroundliterals.md

The review of SE-0039 "Modernizing Playground Literals" ran from Mar 7…9, 2016. The proposal has been *accepted* with modifications:

 - The community and core team uniformly agree that this proposal increases uniformity in the swift language.
 - We discussed how to rationalize naming and capitalization of identifiers in the “#” namespace and prefer to move to a model where it uses lower camel case.
 - The argument label on imageLiteral should be “resourceName” to describe the role of the string and avoid needless words, following the naming guidelines from SE-0006.

As such, the preferred spelling of these literals are:

  #colorLiteral(red: 0, green: 0, blue: 0, alpha: 0)
  #imageLiteral(resourceName: “foo")
  #fileLiteral(resourceName: “bar”)

Implementing this would be a great starter task for someone interested in getting involved in the compiler.  I filed SR-917 to track this effort.  Thank you to Erica Sadun for driving this forward!

-Chris Lattner
Review Manager