[swift-evolution-announce] [Accepted with revision] SE-0134: Rename two UTF8-related properties on String

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Jul 27 16:59:31 CDT 2016

Proposal Link: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0134-rename-string-properties.md

The review of "SE-0134: Rename two UTF8-related properties on String" ran from July 24…26. The proposal has been *accepted with revision*.

This proposal has two parts.  The core team approves the first part: "Rename nulTerminatedUTF8CString to utf8CString”.  This property is intended for use when interoperating with APIs that take C-style “char *” parameters.

For the second part, the proposal suggests "Rename nulTerminatedUTF8 to nullTerminatedUTF8.”  The core team discussed this, looked at various uses of the API (among code bases publicly available on github) and came to the conclusion that it is best to just remove this property outright.  The clients we found would be better served using the .utf8CString property.

Thank you to Xiaodi Wu and Erica Sadun for driving this discussion forward!  Time is short, we’d appreciate it if someone could implement this ASAP.

-Chris Lattner
Review Manager