[swift-dev] State of String: ABI & Performance

Ben Cohen ben_cohen at apple.com
Thu Jan 11 18:20:12 CST 2018

> On Jan 11, 2018, at 12:32 PM, Michael Ilseman via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
> For a more general solution, I think a `var numericValue: Int? { get }` on Character would make sense. Unicode defines (at least one) semantics for this and ICU provides this functionality already.

Minor style point – this should be a failable init on Int rather than a computed property on Character

i.e. Int.init?(_: Character), matching Int.init?(_: String, radix: Int = 10), only it doesn’t need the radix arg cos it’s only a single character.

If implemented inside the std lib, it can still access character’s internals, which is a reasonable thing to do for something so performance-sensitive.