[swift-dev] [swift-lldb-dev] Switching swift to C++14

Davide Italiano dccitaliano at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 17:30:45 CST 2018

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Jim Ingham via swift-dev
<swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
> I have no formal objections to switching lldb to C++14.  I haven't been following what is in C++14, but presumably it's purely additive?  If so then except for bugs this should be a no-op.

+1

> My only reservation is it seems a little odd to adopt a "use C++14" policy for Swift lldb and not for llvm.org lldb.  Is clang going to move to C++14 some time soon?  I don't remember seeing anything about this on the lldb dev lists.  If we're going to build GitHub lldb this way it would be worth raising the suggestion on the lldb-dev as well.

It's very likely llvm won't switch to C++14 until ubuntu 14.04 will be
unsupported (next April), but, given lldb doesn't have the same
bootstrap problems that clang has, probably It could be moved earlier
to C++14 (also the llvm.org bits).

Thanks,

--
Davide