[swift-dev] Conditional conformance: Removing the opt-in flag

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Tue Jan 2 15:19:40 CST 2018

> On Jan 2, 2018, at 11:29, Douglas Gregor via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> Just to be clear, what is the current impact of leaving those Codable conformances conditional? Having casts like [1,2,3] as? Codable fail?
>>
> Right. Those casts, which would have succeeded in Swift 4, will fail (with a runtime warning) in Swift 4.1.

Codable in particular doesn't have this problem because it has initializer requirements. Encodable on its own technically does, but nothing really works with Encodable on its own anyway because the whole system is optimized for round-tripping. If Codable is the only thing we we're worried about, it shouldn't stop us.

Jordan