[swift-dev] [PITCH] Improve Optional Chain Assignment on Tuple Assignment

Kevin Nattinger swift at nattinger.net
Sat Dec 16 02:18:47 CST 2017

> On Dec 15, 2017, at 11:24 PM, John McCall via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 16, 2017, at 2:21 AM, Cao, Jiannan via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org <mailto:swift-dev at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have come up an improvement point about Optional Chain Assignment
>>
>> 1. Optional Chain Assignment not working with tuple assignment
>>
>> optional chain assignment only work for directly assignment, not working with tuple assignment.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> struct ListNode {
>>     var next: ListNode?
>> }
>>
>> var previous: ListNode?
>> var current: ListNode? = ListNode()
>>
>> //original version
>> let temp = current?.next
>> current?.next = previous
>> previous = current
>> current = temp
>>
>> // tuple assignment version (currently compiler error)
>> (current?.next, previous, current) = (previous, current, current?.next)
>>
>> error: cannot assign to immutable expression of type '_?'
>> (current?.next, previous, current) = (previous, current, current?.next)
>>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~                     ^
>>
>> Should we improve this situation?
>
> Optional chain assignment normally prevents the RHS of the assignment from being evaluated if the chain is aborted.  What do you recommend as the semantics here?  What if the optional element is later in the sequence?

I’m actually quite surprised by that behavior, and I consider this a gotcha I’ll have to keep in mind in the future. I would expect the rvalue calculation to execute, and if the lvalue ends up being nil it should just be ignored as if assigning to nil.property in objective C.

In particular, the following behavior is surprising to me:

func die<T>() -> T { fatalError() }

var x: Int? = nil
x = die() // Fatal trap, as expected

class C {
    var x: Int? = nil
}
var c: C? = nil
c?.x = die() // No trap!?
print("Still here") // Executes

And similarly,

func foo(_ c: C?) -> Never {
    c?.x = fatalError()
}

Obviously this doesn’t compile right now because of the type mismatch [Int? <- Never], but once `Never` becomes the universal subtype the type theorists have been rooting for, I’d expect it to compile but never return. However, given your ignore-rvalues evaluation it would still not compile.  “But I’m calling fatalError, how can it possibly return?”