[swift-dev] Zero-cost 'Service Provider Interface'/Signature Packages

Erik Eckstein eeckstein at apple.com
Wed Nov 8 23:58:58 CST 2017

> On Nov 8, 2017, at 5:27 PM, Johannes Weiß via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
>> On 2 Nov 2017, at 8:15 pm, Daniel Dunbar <daniel_dunbar at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> My personal preference is to:
>> 1. Do nothing for now, but encourage publishing standardized protocols to solve this need.
>> 2. Hope for a future with WMO+LTO magic which recovers the performance, for the case where the entire application ends up using one implementation.
>
> Hmm, but that'll only work if we get 'whole product optimisation', right?

yes.

Even when we have cross-module optimizations (which would be comparable to thin-lto) we could not do that optimization.

> If we still compile one module at the time I don't think the compiler will be able to figure out that there's just one implementation of that protocol in the whole program.

exactly

> [...]
>>>
>>> In Swift the downside is that this means we're now getting a virtual dispatch and the existential everywhere (which in Java will be optimised away by the JIT). That might not be a huge problem but it might undermine 'CrazyFastLoggingFramework's adoption as we always pay overhead.
>>>
>>> I don't think this problem can be elegantly solved today. What I could make work today (and maybe we could add language/SwiftPM support to facilitate it) is this (⚠️, it's ugly)
>>>
>>> - one SwiftPM package defines the SPI only, the only thing it exports is a `public protocol` called say `_spi_Logger`, no implementation
>>> - every implementation of that SPI defines a `public struct Logger: _spi_Logger` (yes, they all share the _same_ name)
>>> - every package that wants to log contains
>>>
>>>  #if USE_FOO_LOGGER
>>>      import FooLogger
>>>  #elif USE_BAR_LOGGER
>>>      import BarLogger
>>>  #else
>>>      import BuzLogger
>>>  #endif
>>>
>>> where 'BuzLogger' is the preferred logging system of this package but if either `USE_FOO_LOGGER` or `USE_BAR_LOGGER` was defined this package is happy to use those as well.
>>> - `Logger` is always used as the type, it might be provided by different packages though
>>> - in Package.swift of said package we'll need to define something like this:
>>>
>>>   func loggingDependency() -> Package.Dependency {
>>>   #if USE_FOO_LOGGER
>>>       return .package(url: "github.com/...../foo.git", ...)
>>>   #elif USE_BAR_LOGGER
>>>       return ...
>>>   #else
>>>       return .package(url: "github.com/...../buz.git", ...)
>>>   #endif
>>>   }
>>>
>>>    func loggingDependencyTarget() -> Target.Dependency {
>>>   #if USE_FOO_LOGGER
>>>       return "foo"
>>>   #elif USE_BAR_LOGGER
>>>       return "bar"
>>>   #else
>>>       return "buz"
>>>   #endif
>>>   }
>>> - in the dependencies array of Package.swift we'll then use `loggingDependency()` and in the target we use `loggingDependencyTarget()` instead of the concrete one
>>>
>>> Yes, it's awful but even in a world with different opinions about the implementation of a logger, we can make the program work.
>>> In the happy case where application and all dependency agree that 'AwesomeLogging' is the best framework we can just type `swift build` and everything works. In the case where some dependencies think 'AwesomeLogging' is the best but others prefer 'BestEverLogging' we can force the whole application into one using `swift build -Xswiftc -DUSE_AWESOME_LOGGING` or `swift build -Xswiftc -DUSE_BEST_EVER_LOGGING`.
>>>

>>> Wrapping up, I can see a few different options:
>>>
>>> 1) do nothing and live with the situation (no Swift/SwiftPM changes required)
>>> 2) advertise something similar to what I propose above (no Swift/SwiftPM changes required)
>>> 3) do what Java does but optimise the existential away at compile time (if the compiler can prove there's actually only one type that implements that protocol)
>>> 4) teach SwiftPM about those SPI packages and make everything work, maybe by textually replacing the import statements in the  source?
>>> 5) do what Haskell did and retrofit a module system that can support this
>>> 6) have 'special' `specialized protocol` for which a concrete implementation needs to be selected by the primary source