[swift-dev] deprecating -Ounchecked

Erik Eckstein eeckstein at apple.com
Thu Nov 2 11:52:17 CDT 2017

Hi,

I’d like to propose to deprecate the -Ounchecked swift optimization mode.

The -Ounchecked mode actually contradicts one of the main goals of swift: to be a safe language.
In the past we didn’t see lot of significant performance differences compared to -O (there were some improvements but also some regressions).
Also, we want to reduce the effort of maintaining too many different optimization modes, especially because we recently added -Osize.

Deprecating would mean that we map -Ounchecked to -O.

If you have any comments or concerns, please let me know

Thanks,
Erik