[swift-dev] Rationalizing FloatingPoint conformance to Equatable

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Wed Oct 25 23:46:36 CDT 2017

As someone mentioned earlier, we are trying to square a circle here. We can’t have everything at once… we will have to prioritize.  I feel like the precedent in Swift is to prioritize safety/correctness with an option ignore safety and regain speed.

I think the 3 point solution I proposed is a good compromise that follows that precedent.  It does mean that there is, by default, a small performance hit for floats in generic contexts, but in exchange for that, we get increased correctness and safety.  This is the exact same tradeoff that Swift makes for optionals!  Any speed lost can be regained by providing a specific override for FloatingPoint that uses ‘&==‘.

For example, if someone wants to write a generic function that works both on Integer and FloatingPoint, then they would have to use the new protocol which would force them to correctly handle cases involving NaN.  If speed is super important in that particular case, then they can write overrides for the FloatingPoint case which uses &==, and for Equatable which uses ==.

Because Float’s Equatable conformance is just being depreciated (with a warning/fixit), authors have at least a version to decide whether speed or correctness (or hopefully both) is most important to them.

Thanks,
Jon

P.S. We really should not be comparing against the speed of algorithms which don’t correctly handle NaN. Let’s compare Apples to Apples.