[swift-dev] sharing tips and tricks and scripts

Saleem Abdulrasool compnerd at compnerd.org
Sun Oct 22 16:58:54 CDT 2017

I agree with Jordan (and Chris) on this.  I think that we should try to
simplify the build process that we have rather than encouraging more build
script wrappers.  The current build process is pretty cumbersome which is
why I think that many people have wrapper scripts.  In fact, it seems that
it is complicated enough that we need a wrapper script officially (aka
build-script).  I think that we should aim to break down the pieces a bit
further and encourage it to be more like LLVM where even though there are
multiple projects, there is no need for a wrapper script, instead
everything works out of the box with minimal tweaks.

That said, something like Chris' idea of a bisection script seems quite
valuable, especially given the interdependencies between LLVM, clang, and
swift.

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Chris Lattner via swift-dev <
swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:

> Any scripts should be subject to the same code review and design policies
> as the rest of the compiler.  A bisection script or build-script seem fine,
> but a four line script to automate something is probably not the right
> thing to include.
>
> -Chris
>
> > On Oct 17, 2017, at 6:05 PM, Jordan Rose via swift-dev <
> swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
> >
> > I always dislike wrapper scripts because it means that people are
> working around undesirable behavior in a tool rather than fixing it. But
> that doesn't seem to be a practical answer, because people are already
> using wrapper scripts. (I've lost this argument several times before.)
> >
> > Jordan
> >

> >> On Oct 17, 2017, at 17:25, Erik Eckstein via swift-dev <
> swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I recently had some discussions about how to share those little tips
> and tricks which everyone has to make building, debugging, etc. the swift
> compiler easier.
> >>
> >> And actually we already have a central place for this: it’s the docs
> folder in the swift repo. Especially the DebuggingTheCompiler.rst document
> contains many useful little things which might help debugging the compiler.
> >>
> >> So with this email I want to “announce” this, because I found that many
> people didn’t know that.
> >> And also I’d like to encourage everyone to contribute to
> DebuggingTheCompiler.rst and other documents.
> >>
> >> Another thing is that many people have implemented their own little
> helper scripts for various purposes, which they share by email with others
> and those emails get lost, and nobody knows what’s the latest version of a
> script, etc.
> >> We have many of such scripts already in utils. But utils got already
> very convoluted. So I propose to create a sub-folder, e.g. ‘dev-scripts’ to
> place such scripts (just for new scripts, I’m not proposing moving existing
> scripts). The intention is to keep the bar low to contribute to
> dev-scripts. So scripts may be not super-polished and it’s also ok to have
> multiple scripts which do similar things.
> >> Some scripts might get attention and turn out to be useful for many
> people and thus get improved over time. We can eventually move such scripts
> out of dev-scripts into the “production” folder utils.
> >>
> >> Please let me know if you have any comments.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Erik

Saleem Abdulrasool
compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org