[swift-dev] Metadata Representation

Saleem Abdulrasool compnerd at compnerd.org
Thu Sep 21 15:26:38 CDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Joe Groff <jgroff at apple.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> type descriptor into the (RW) data segment and the other is to adjust the
>> ABI to use an absolute relocation which would be rebased.  Given that the
>> type metadata may be adjusted means that we cannot emit it into the RO data
>> segment.  Is there another solution that I am overlooking which may be
>> simpler or better?
>>

>> IIRC, this came up when someone was trying to port Swift to Windows on
>> ARM as well, and they were able to conditionalize the code so that we used
>> absolute pointers on Windows/ARM, and we may have to do the same on Windows
>> in general. It may be somewhat more complicated on Win64 since we generally
>> assume that relative references can be 32-bit, whereas an absolute
>> reference will be 64-bit, so some formats may have to change layout to make
>> this work too. I believe Windows' executable loader still ultimately maps
>> the final PE image contiguously, so alternatively, you could conceivably
>> build a Swift toolchain that used ELF or Mach-O or some other format with
>> better support for PIC as the intermediate object format and still linked a
>> final PE executable. Using relative references should still be a win on
>> Windows both because of the size benefit of being 32-bit and the fact that
>> they don't need to be slid when running under ASLR or when a DLL needs to
>> be rebased.
>>

> Yeah, I tracked down the relativePointer thing.  There is a nice subtle
> little warning that it is not fully portable :-).  Would you happen to have
> a pointer to where the adjustment for the absolute pointers on WoA is?
>
> You are correct that the image should be contiugously mapped on Windows.
> The idea of MachO as an intermediatary is rather intriguing.  Thinking
> longer term, maybe we want to use that as a global solution?  It would also
> provide a nicer autolinking mechanism for ELF which is the one target which
> currently is missing this functionality.  However, if Im not mistaken, this
> would require a MachO linker (and the only current viable MachO linker
> would be ld64).  The MachO binary would then need to be converted into ELF
> or COFF.  This seems like it could take a while to implement though, but
> would not really break ABI, so pushing that off to later may be wise.
>

> Intriguingly, LLVM does support `*-*-win32-macho` as a target triple
> already, though I don't know what Mach-O to PE linker (if any) that's
> intended to be used with. We implemented relative references using
> current-position-relative offsets for Darwin and Linux both because that
> still allows for a fairly convenient pointer-like C++ API for working with
> relative offsets, and because the established toolchains on those platforms
> already have to support PIC so had most of the relocations we needed to
> make them work already; is there another base we could use for relative
> offsets on Windows that would fit in the set of relocations supported by

Yes, the `-windows-macho` target is used for UEFI :-).  The MachO binary is
translated later to PE/COFF as required by the UEFI specification.

There are only two relocation types which can be used for relative
displacements: __ImageBase relative (IMAGE_REL_*_ADDR32NB) and section
relative (IMAGE_REL_*_SECREL) which are relative to the beginning of the
section.  The latter is why I mentioned that moving them into the same
section could be a solution as that would allow the relative distance to be
encoded.  Unfortunately, the section relative relocation is relative to the
section within which the symbol is.