[swift-dev] Changing ELF layout

Saleem Abdulrasool compnerd at compnerd.org
Sat Sep 16 17:06:07 CDT 2017

Hello,

I'd like to propose that we change the locations that we use to store the
type metadata, protocol conformances, type references, reflection strings,
field metadata, and associated types.

I think that it is possible to simplify the design for the linker tables by
changing section names and relying on the linker to perform the work
necessary to generate the tables so that they can be walked later.

Switching sections would mean that we would lose interoperability with
previously built libraries.  Given that there is ABI stability work going
on for at least the Darwin target, I figure that this would be the best
time to do this.

Would this be acceptable?  Is compatibility something that we need to worry
about?

--
Saleem Abdulrasool
compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org