[swift-dev] Portable stdlib

Andy Best andybest.net at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 08:44:18 CDT 2017

Hey,

I'm currently looking at building a portable version of the standard
library (for targeting microcontrollers, kernel dev, etc).

The easiest way to cross compile Swift at the moment (that I can find) is
to get swiftc to generate LLVM IR (-emit-ir), and use clang to build and
cross compile. This obviously leaves the problem that there won't be a
standard lib to link against on the target.

I figured that the best way to accomplish this would probably be to
implement whatever stubs are necessary for the target (e.g. all the libc
calls).

I am struggling to find the best way to build the standard library though.
I've got a copy of the stdlib files, have run gyb over all of the
templates, and am attempting to get swiftc to compile everything and output
a giant IR file.

I was wondering if there was an easier way to go about building a custom
libswiftcore?

It would obviously be great to be able to use Swift in this way without an
OS, as it would open up a lot of opportunities for use of the language
(embedded development, etc).

Thanks,

Andy