[swift-dev] Reconsidering the global uniqueness of type metadata and protocol conformance instances

Slava Pestov spestov at apple.com
Sat Jul 29 18:49:10 CDT 2017

> On Jul 28, 2017, at 4:07 PM, Jordan Rose via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
> My point is we can't use our usual mangling in the string, because that contains type names.

We could invent a ‘mangling’ format (either using the existing demangler with a special flag or something else) where types inside the module are encoded as a pointer to a nominal type descriptor or something.

This would be useful for remote reflection as well, for secrecy and efficiency reasons.

Also being able to build metadata from a mangling will allow the standard library’s Mirror type to use the reflection metadata, instead of a ‘field type accessor’ which is emitted by IRGen for each value type, saving on code size.

Slava