[swift-dev] Reconsidering the global uniqueness of type metadata and protocol conformance instances

Chris Lattner clattner at nondot.org
Sat Jul 29 15:23:58 CDT 2017

On Jul 28, 2017, at 2:20 PM, Joe Groff via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:

> Overall, my intuition is that the tradeoffs come out in favor for nonunique metadata objects, but what do you all think? Is there anything I'm missing?

I think your proposal makes sense, particularly when we start caring about metadata/conformances for non-nominal types, which don’t have a declaration location.  They are a bit over the horizon right now, but we need to support making tuples conform to protocols someday.  Eliminating the requirement for them to be uniquely emitted across the entire program would make that much simpler, because otherwise you’re in the land of weak symbols or something.

-Chris