[swift-dev] Pathway to becoming an effective contributor

Halen Wooten swift at hpwooten.com
Tue Jul 11 16:08:28 CDT 2017

Hi folks,

Here are a summary of what we've discussed and my proposal for a next step:

## Compiler tips
- The LLVM infrastructure docs are valid for Swift as well, and this
includes LIT testing. Reading over those will help with understanding
the Swift codebase.
- You can invoke lit directly for rapid testing during development.
- If you don't see a starter bug in an area of the compiler that
interests you, email this mailing list to ask if there are any unfiled
bugs available.
- ./docs/DebuggingTheCompiler.rst contains debugging information
- Release builds of the compiler will build the standard library more
quickly, which can help reduce development time.

## Proposal
### Motivation
Right now, there are at least three places that have information about
contributing to Swift. The largest of these is
https://swift.org/contributing/ , which discusses contributions to the
project overall, and not compiler specifics (which is probably the
right call). We also have the near-empty CONTRIBUTING.md and a small
section at the end of the readme.

### Action Item
I propose that we consolidate the above tips and links for swift
compiler resources (like the previously mentioned testing guide) into
CONTRIBUTING.md and link to that from the README. This will serve as
the definitive guide for new contributors to get up to speed. Does
that sound reasonable? (And if so, should this be a jira ticket?)

Thanks,

Halen