[swift-dev] Enabling the ownership verifier on parts of the stdlib

Michael Gottesman mgottesman at apple.com
Mon Jul 10 16:16:14 CDT 2017

Hey everyone.

Over the weekend I got stdlibCore (and some other parts of the stdlib as well) working with the ownership verifier. I am going to be enabling the verifier by default on stdlibCore sometime this afternoon. If you get hit by any verification issues as you are working, I am adding a semantic tag in 6859de0 that will enable the ownership verifier to be disabled on specific functions. The specific tag is: "verify.ownership.sil.never". The intended workflow is place the semantics tag on the function failing verification:

@_semantics("verify.ownership.sil.never")
func myFunctionThatForSomeReasonFailsOwnershipVerification() {

and then file a bug report so I can see if we are having a real ownership violation or if we have a false positive.

Michael