[swift-dev] Porting Swift to Haiku

Joseph Calvin Hill mr_j.c.h at hotmail.com
Sun May 7 16:19:15 CDT 2017

Hello swift-dev!

I'm one of the selected GSoC 2017 students under the Haiku Project [0] and I intend to add Haiku support to the Swift compiler and its standard libraries. [1]  Haiku is an open-source operating system that specifically targets personal computing and aims to be a platform that is easy to use and learn for both end-users and developers, whilst retaining BeOS ABI compatibility [2]. My plan is to only support 64 bit Haiku (x86_64-unknown-haiku) for now, 32 bit support is also a possibility but I’m not sure if this will get in the way of Swift’s goals? (IIRC there was a 32 bit Linux port that hasn’t been merged upstream.)

I have already patched the build-script and some other CMakeFiles for initial support in my swift fork, but they are based on the ’swift-3.1-branch' sources [3]. As I plan to cleanup these changes and merge them upstream, should I be targeting my porting efforts to Swift 4 rather than Swift 3.1.1? My final proposal [4] documents the project timeline for executing this porting task.

Thanks,
Joseph Hill
[0] https://www.haiku-os.org
[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#5744000681115648