[swift-dev] swift-format editor integration

Saleem Abdulrasool compnerd at compnerd.org
Wed May 3 10:08:10 CDT 2017

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:41 PM Ted Kremenek <kremenek at apple.com> wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2017, at 8:17 AM, Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd at compnerd.org>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Ted,
>
> I think that what I'm proposing adding is quite small.  It has a mirror
> equivalent in the clang repository.
>

> I thought about it more, and you convinced me.  I’m fine with taking it.

Awesome!

> Can you revise the description in PR 8610 to indicate what the PR is
> actually for?  It doesn’t provide a description.

Absolutely, will do.

> As to maintainence, I'm willing to take that on.  I already maintain the
> vim syntax support (I'm pretty confident that I've made the bulk of the
> changes to it at this point).
>

> Sounds good to me.
>

> I'm not sure where the idea that vim needs its own repository came from.
> In all my years using vim and packaging for various Linux distributions,
> I've never seen such a requirement.
>

> Interesting.  I’m possibly crossing the streams with something else.
>

> Personally, I think that splitting out the stdlib and the compiler would
> be an even better thing (but that is a separate conversation).
>

> It is — and because much of the language is defined in terms of the
> Standard Library (e.g., “Int”) it’s hard to really test the compiler
> without the Standard Library.  They are very tightly coupled.

Yeah, I know that makes it pretty challenging.  It's always made it
difficult to write tests which don't depend on the stdlib.

>   So, I can't really protest against a different repository for the
> support infrastructure.  Could we create such a repo?
>

> It’s an interesting discussion — although I’m not 100% certain what pieces
> you think are “support infrastructure”.  Are you referring specifically to
> things like emacs and vim support?  How about we take this change (modulo
> the change in the PR to make it more descriptive), and spin a new thread on
> splitting out a separate repository for support infrastructure.  That said,
> despite my earlier comments, I don’t think there is a big driver for that
> right now unless we started to see those pieces start to significantly grow.
>
> WDYT?

I think integrating it into the main repo is probably the best choice given
the size and complexity (it is really dwarfed by everything else, I think
that gyb is more complicated than this piece).

I'll go ahead and make the changes and hopefully we can get this merged
soon :)