[swift-dev] Mysterious memory improvement and regression

Pavol Vaskovic pali at pali.sk
Fri Apr 21 05:57:22 CDT 2017

Hi swift-dev!

I was working over the Easter holiday weekend on script that reports the benchmark results comparison. I wasn’t always up-to-date with the master, but I have noticed a mysterious change in MAX_RSS value reported from benchmarks. The change went away again in later builds.

For example the AngryPhonebook benchmark usually reports MAX_RSS of 10 543 104 - so around 10 MB. But my local builds from 2017-04-15 had all similar tests drop to around 3 MB (AngryPhonebook reported 3 506 176).

That seems like a significant and positive change, but later builds returned to previous values. I have tried to look through the commits around that time, but nothing there strikes me as obvious cause.

Forgive my cluelessness, I lack proper visibility into the projects current development, but is there some work going on in this area, that got merged and reverted?

Best regards
Pavol Vaskovic