[swift-dev] Statically-emitted or statically-allocated objects with new refcounting

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Fri Mar 17 18:07:10 CDT 2017

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 4:04 PM, Greg Parker <gparker at apple.com> wrote:

>>> Oops, dropped my reply somewhere. Yes, that's correct. The only barriers are the store-release in swift_release and the matching acquire before deinit. Truly inert objects would perform neither of those. They would perform the load and then shortcut out at the "this object is unusual" bit test before the incremented store.
>>>
>>> You can initialize your objects with a refcount field of `uintptr_t(1)` for now. That's the same value used for newly-allocated objects. Note that the `1` is not the strong retain count.
>>>
>>> Is this going in the compiler's codegen somewhere? We should have a test and a big comment in RefCount.h for the dependency, assuming it can't be easily handled automatically at build time, because these values will certainly change in the future.
>>
>> It might at some point, but I was thinking of using this in the runtime for now. We already have a few statically-emitted objects for the empty containers that could benefit from this, but they could presumably use API from RefCount.h to grab a constexpr bit pattern with which to initialize themselves.
>
> Good: we already support that usage. Struct HeapObject has a constexpr initializer that sets the refcounts to that value. See stdlib/public/stubs/GlobalObjects.cpp for some similar uses.
>
> (But wait, objects for empty containers are already in GlobalObjects.cpp. Are you adding more such objects?)

I was considering it as a possibility for statically emitting literal key path objects as part of Foundation's recent language proposal (https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20170313/033998.html <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20170313/033998.html>). Even for this case, I don't think I'd have the compiler statically emit the bit pattern, but have accesses to the object go through a runtime call that lazily reifies it. (That way, if we change the object format, we can also still reallocate the older compiler-emitted format.)

-Joe