[swift-dev] Profiling ARC

Slava Pestov spestov at apple.com
Thu Feb 16 22:03:39 CST 2017

> On Feb 16, 2017, at 6:48 PM, Jiho Choi via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I was curious about the overhead of ARC and started profiling some benchmarks found in the Computer Language Benchmark Game (http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/measurements.php?lang=swift <http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/measurements.php?lang=swift>).  So far, it seems that ARC sequence optimization is surprisingly good and most benchmarks don't have to perform ARC operations as often as I expected.  I have some questions regarding this finding.
>
> I compiled all benchmarks with "-O -wmo" flags and counted the number of calls to ARC runtime (e.g., swift_rt_swift_retain) using Pin.
>
> 1. Reference counting is considered to have high overhead due to frequent counting operations which also have to be atomic.  At least for the benchmarks I tested, it is not the case and there is almost no overhead.  Is it expected behavior?  Or is it because the benchmarks are too simple (they are all single-file programs)?  How do you estimate the overhead of ARC would be?

It is possible that the optimizer eliminated many reference counting operations here. Also my understanding is that while atomic operations are more expensive than non-atomic operations, the real cost only comes into play if you actually have contention due to bouncing cache lines. In a single-threaded workload the overhead is not that great.

IRGen still emits atomic reference counting operations when it produces value witness operations. I think there’s a PR open right now to address this: https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/7421 <https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/7421>

> 3. Are there more realistic benchmarks available?  Swift's official benchmarks also seem pretty small.

Contributions are welcome :-)