[swift-dev] Performance issues in automatic reference counting (ARC)?

Mark Lacey mark.lacey at apple.com
Sat Dec 17 13:47:22 CST 2016

This might be a good starter post: https://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2014/08/18/atomics-and-contention

> I guess atomic reference count changes create overhead in multithreaded applications?

There is overhead even in single-threaded applications, as the post above discusses. The overhead depends very much on the details of the particular microarchitecture.

> Are there more detailed explorations into this topic?

If you’re looking for something Swift- or ARC-specific I don’t know of anything.

Mark