[swift-dev] Glibc.swift: error: no such module 'SwiftGlibc'

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 17:16:59 CST 2016

On 11/10/16, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose at apple.com> wrote:

>>> Oops. Correction to my last post. The CMakeCache.txt are not
>>> identical. I compared the wrong files.
>>>
>>> However, the SWIFT_SDKS variable are the same in each.
>>>
>>> Here are some differences I did spot:
>>>
>>> In Ubuntu, LIBXML2_XMLLINT_EXECUABLE is not found, but defined in my
>>> SteamRT cache.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu:
>>> SWIFT_HAVE_WORKING_STD_REGEX_TEST:INTERNAL=1
>>> Steam
>>> SWIFT_HAVE_WORKING_STD_REGEX_TEST:INTERNAL=
>>>
>>> Ubuntu:
>>> SWIFT_HAVE_WORKING_STD_REGEX_TEST_EXITCODE:INTERNAL=0
>>> Steam:
>>> SWIFT_HAVE_WORKING_STD_REGEX_TEST_EXITCODE:INTERNAL=FAILED_TO_RUN
>>>

>>> The remaining of the differences are tool version differences and
>>> stuff with libICU (because Steam-Runtime doesn't supply it so I must
>>> build/supply it myself). But most of these differences are expected.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eric
>>>

>> It looks like the problem is related to which version of CMake you use.
>>
>> Ubuntu 16.10 supplies CMake 3.5.2.
>> Steam-Runtime ships a version that is way too old, so I built and used
>> the latest stable CMake version, 3.6.3.
>>
>> Using 3.6.3 seems to always trigger this problem with the Swift build.
>>
>> I tested it both ways:
>>
>> 1. I changed Ubuntu 16.10 to use CMake 3.6.3 and the build broke in
>> exactly the same way I described.
>>
>> 2. In Steam-Runtime, I built/used CMake 3.5.2 instead, and the build
>> completed.
>>

>> I still don’t know specifically what the build script bug is. This is
>> going to need to be fixed eventually if all newer versions of CMake
>> lead to a broken build process.
>
> Nice job tracking this down! I can’t reproduce it with CMake 3.6.3 on Ubuntu
> 16.04 with a default configuration, though—or at least, I still see the
> glibc.modulemap target being generated in the Ninja file and listed as a
> dependency. Can you include your full build-script invocation line?
>
> Jordan

My PATH is modified to make sure to use my built version of CMake
instead of the system one.

./swift/utils/build-script --release --skip-test-linux --android
--android-ndk=/home/pinky/Android/android-ndk --android-api-level=21
--android-icu-uc
/home/pinky/Source/SWIFTANDROID/libiconv-libicu-android/armeabi-v7a/lib/libicuucswift.so
--android-icu-uc-include
/home/pinky/Source/SWIFTANDROID/libiconv-libicu-android/armeabi-v7a/include
--android-icu-i18n
/home/pinky/Source/SWIFTANDROID/libiconv-libicu-android/armeabi-v7a/lib/libicui18nswift.so
--android-icu-i18n-include
/home/pinky/Source/SWIFTANDROID/libiconv-libicu-android/armeabi-v7a/include/
--extra-cmake-options="-DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=1"

The top of my git log is:

commit 7a3a1e3697e104522734aaea62987e6ef7d58e79
Merge: 23525d9 9577d98
Author: swift-ci <swift-ci at users.noreply.github.com>
Date:   Thu Oct 27 13:43:11 2016 -0700

    Merge pull request #5500 from nkcsgexi/closure