[swift-dev] Continuation-based versus nested-function-based materializeForSet

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Wed Nov 2 16:54:05 CDT 2016

> On Nov 1, 2016, at 3:32 PM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 31, 2016, at 12:22 PM, Joe Groff via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>> We currently abstract over mutable property accesses using what I’ll call a continuation-based model–the materializeForSet accessor is called before an inout access, and returns a continuation callback that must be called when the inout access is completed. I think a nested-function-based model, if designed correctly, has the potential to be more efficient and easier to implement.
>
> Well, I'm not totally convinced about either of those two points, but it's definitely something we need to talk about.
>
> Let me try to break this down.  I think I'm going to repeat you a lot in different words.
>
> We have a coroutine-esque problem:
>  0. Outer is executing.
>  1. Outer calls Inner.
>  2. Inner executes for a while.
>  3. Inner passes control back to Outer without abandoning its execution context.
>  4. Outer executes for awhile.
>  5. Outer passes control back to Inner, potentially having changed its own execution context.
>  6. Inner executes for awhile.
>  7. Inner finally abandons its execution context and passes control back to Outer.
>  8. Outer is executing.
>
> Note that there might be multiple static points for (3) and (5), each requiring a different resumption point (and creating different context changes) at (5) and (7) respectively.
>
> (I'm going to use the terms "standard spilling", "subfunction spilling", and "transfer spilling" without defining them.  I'll come back to this.)
>
> I. Lowerings
>
> Currently, as you say, we do this with a sort of CPS conversion where Inner is split into multiple sub-functions.  The initial function is passed a (necessarily fixed-size, opaque to Outer) buffer; at (3), it saves its context into that buffer and returns a sub-function that Outer will invoke (passing the same buffer) at point (5); at (5), that sub-function restores its context from that buffer; and finally the sub-function returns normally at (7).  This has two advantages: Outer can reason locally about the data flow from (0) to (4) to (8), and Inner can return a null pointer at (3) to indicate that there's no work to do in (6) and thus save an indirect branch (at the cost of a local conditional branch).  However, if Inner has interesting context to save at (3), that requires extra code to manage that data flow, and the amount of data to save can overflow the buffer and therefore require malloc.  Total branching cost: the original call at (1), the easily-predicted return at (3), the conditional branch at (5), the possible indirect call at (5), and the easily-predicted return at (7).  Total save/restore cost: standard spilling at (1-3) and (5-7), transfer spilling at (3-5), possible malloc.

> [...]

OK, if you're not convinced that chained callbacks are a win, then it's kind of a wash. I agree that we'd want to represent the caller and callee as independent coroutines in SIL either way, so the tradeoffs come down to how we lower to readily-available LLVM abstractions. Either implementation approach's tradeoffs could be mitigated with enough implementation effort: We could avoid mallocing in the continuation-style implementation by manipulating the stack pointer across calls to save space for extra state, and on the other hand, for the callback-style lowering, we could increase the 0-to-4-to-8 bandwidth by saving more registers when switching into the callee's context. One possibly small advantage I think the callback style still holds is the ability for (3) to be a tail call when the callee has no code in 6 (the stored/addressed case), which saves a test and branch the caller needs to perform if we represent that as a nullable continuation return in the continuation-style model.

-Joe