[swift-dev] SE-0047 - Defaulting non-Void functions so they warn on unused results

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Mon Oct 31 18:14:04 CDT 2016

> On Oct 30, 2016, at 5:49 AM, Jody Schofield via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
> Sorry, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what the heck???
>
> This feature is killing me. Now I have go add @discardableResult to every function that returns a non-Void or use the ugly syntax `_ =`?
>
> Until swift 3 I've really enjoyed the new language. Now I find it to be getting too rigid for the sake of "protecting" me from myself. The safety levels needs to be dialled back some.

I think we're generally very comfortable with this rule; forgetting to handle a return value (maybe because you expect the function to be mutating) is a pretty common mistake, and "_ = " seems nicer than the old C equivalent "(void)".

Do you find yourself writing a lot of functions that return non-void results that you frequently want to ignore?  Maybe there's some idiom we could do a better job of recognizing.

John.