[swift-dev] Making the sign of NaNs unspecified to enable enum layout optimization

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Thu Oct 20 11:42:42 CDT 2016

Some disconnected thoughts:

- “Does not interpret” does not mean “does not preserve”. The very next sentence in the standard is "Note, however, that operations on bit strings—copy, negate, abs, copySign—specify the sign bit of a NaN result, sometimes based upon the sign bit of a NaN operand."

- If we were to claim a class of NaNs, I would pick signalling NaNs rather than positive or negative ones. AFAIK most NaN-embedding tricks avoid signalling NaNs because they can, well, signal, even though (again AFAIK) most modern systems don’t bother.

- I don’t feel like we have a coherent story here. We know that APIs taking “Double” or “Float” can represent any bit pattern. The last plan I heard for floating-point comparison treats NaNs as unordered relative to one another, even in a total order comparison. (I maintain that this is unsound.) And this proposal would treat some or all NaNs as invalid. I feel like we need to pick one approach here.

Jordan