[swift-dev] copy-on-write proposal

Erik Eckstein eeckstein at apple.com
Tue Oct 18 18:38:13 CDT 2016

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 10:21 AM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:
>

> on Mon Oct 17 2016, Erik Eckstein <eeckstein-AT-apple.com> wrote:

>>> Foundation does, or would if they could.

>>> +1

>>> That's pretty cool.  However, I think there's nothing to prevent any
>>> mutating method from storing a copy of self in a global, so I think we'd
>>> need some participation from the programmer (either an agreement not to
>>> do that, or an explicit claim of uniqueness on exit) in order to
>>> identify operations that create/preserve uniqueness.
>>
>> If a mutating reference (like self in a mutating method) is move-only
>> then you would not be able to “copy” it to a global.
>
> Yes, a reference to a move-only type would work for this purpose.

>>> ...or determine that it's uniquely-referenced.
>>
>> In this specific example, if opqaue_function holds a reference to arr’s buffer, the buffer is not
>> uniquely-referenced.
>
> Right.

>>> Presumably, it changes what code you can execute on `b` without invoking
>>> traps or undefined behavior.  Otherwise, the optimizer wouldn't be able
>>> to do anything differently to take advantage of the annotation.
>>
>> That’s true.
>>
>>> What are the rules for writing code that uses `copy_on_write`?
>>
>> See below ("The rules for using ``copy_on_write`` and the built-ins are:”)
>
> Yeah, I got there, eventually.  But just saying “doesn't change
> semantics” at this point in the proposal leaves a gap, because it does
> change semantic *requirements*.  You should mention that.

>>> This seems like much too broad a rule to allow inplace mutations of
>>> uniquely referenced buffers.
>>
>> The point is that all mutations must be guarded by an is_unique, which
>> takes the _address_ of the buffer reference as argument.
>> And the optimizer considers this instruction as a potential write to the buffer reference.
>> The effect is that the lifetime of a buffer reference (as a SIL value)
>> will not outlive a is_unique - regardless if this is inside a called
>> function or inlined.
>
> I don't see how that allows me to mutate a uniquely referenced buffer held
> in a @sil_cow reference, given what you wrote above.

You would not be able to get a reference to a mutable buffer by reading the COW type’s @sil_cow field.
Instead you would only get such a reference as a result of the is_unique instruction/builtin. Or, of course, by creating a new buffer.

I’m not sure if this was the question, though.

Plus: we will have an explicit conversion instruction (start_unique) to convert an immutable reference to a mutable referece.
A SIL optimization can replace an is_unique with this instruction if  it can prove that the reference is already unique at that point.