[swift-dev] Having 64-bit swift_retain/release ignore all negative pointer values

Michael Gottesman mgottesman at apple.com
Mon Oct 17 14:01:46 CDT 2016

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 11:53 AM, Michael Gottesman via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:

>>> I need to catch up on this thread, but there is an important thing to remember. If you use an enum like this there are a few potential issues:
>>>
>>> 1. In the implementation, you will /not/ want to use the enum internally. This would prevent the optimizer from eliminating all of the Small Case reference counting operations. This means you would rewrap the internal value when you return one and when you enter into an internal implementation code path try to immediately switch to a specialized small case path if you can.
>>> 2. {Retain,Release}Values will be created outside. We are talking about some ways of fixing this from a code-size perspective by using a value witness, but in the present this may cause additional code-size increase.
>>
>> This is exactly the case that would be improved, since retain/release_value on such an enum would boil down to a single swift_retain/release call if the runtime functions ignored the tagged small case values.
>
> I am saying something stronger. What I am saying is that, you could have 0 retain/release operations on the SmallString path.

Let me elaborate a little bit, and then I am going to drop my point here since as Joe pointed out to me offlist, this is orthogonal to the ABI discussion.

What I am trying to say is that the optimizer will eliminate all retain, release operations on trivial values. Any code path which uses the top level enum can not take advantage of this property since the top level enum /could/ have the BigString contained in it. So what you want to do to get rid of the most retain/release operations is to move the enum switch to the entrances of the API so that one has the largest region of code where the optimizer can clearly see that it has a small string.

Now we /could/ specialize on enum cases. I will file a radar for this.

Michael