[swift-dev] Having 64-bit swift_retain/release ignore all negative pointer values

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Mon Oct 17 12:58:19 CDT 2016

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 10:54 AM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:
>

> on Mon Oct 17 2016, Joe Groff <jgroff-AT-apple.com> wrote:

>>> Well, but we'd like to take advantage of the same kind of optimization
>>> for the small string optimization.  It doesn't seem like this should be
>>> handled differently just because the string buffer is a class instance
>>> and not a closure context.
>>
>> String is a struct, and small strings don't have to be modeled as
>> class instances. An enum { case Big(StringStorage), Small(Int63) } or
>> similar layout should be able to take advantage of
>> swift_retain/release ignoring negative values too.
>
> That would be nice.  Historically I've had to bypass enums either
> because the codegen or the optimizer wasn't smart enough.
>
> We *had* wanted to use some of the same tagged pointer representations
> as Cocoa does for NSString, and if we give up layout to the enum codegen
> machinery we won't get that.  That would be a very minor
> performance win, though, so it probably doesn't matter.

Yeah, I figured we would still need some variant of Builtin.BridgeObject around to give the standard library the control it needs. My only point was that we don't necessarily need to support a concept of tagged-pointer class instances, with all the runtime complexity that entails, to be able to take advantage of tagged pointer optimizations for non-class refcounted types in Swift.

-Joe