[swift-dev] Reporting/Debugging Slow Swift Compile Time

Graydon Hoare ghoare at apple.com
Wed Oct 5 18:20:02 CDT 2016

If you can collect an instruments profile of the frontend running one of the particularly-slow files, it might help localize the subsystem of the typechecker; aside from that, I'm currently putting some new counters and timers in the frontend, so am likely to have slightly more-constructive news in the next little while, but don't have that work done just yet.

For collecting an instruments profile, try something like:

  $ SWIFTBIN=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/swift
  $ instruments -t 'Time Profiler' $SWIFTBIN -frontend -parse somefile.swift
  $ open instrumentscli0.trace

Then expand all (option-click the triangle next to 'swift' in the call-tree), select-all, copy and paste the complete call-tree into a text file and attach it here, that might give a bit of insight. On my local copy of instruments one also has to toggle the "separate by state" box of the details pane to get the full call-tree to expand, not sure why; might just be a transient bug.

-Graydon