[swift-dev] Reporting/Debugging Slow Swift Compile Time

Ben Asher benasher44 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 15:02:47 CDT 2016

I didn't know about that warning, so thanks for sharing that! Having this
enabled will help somewhat, at least in terms of keeping specific
slow-to-compile functions out of our master branch.

That said, I understand Jordan's response (in SR-2741) of being "leery of
'productizing'" these flags. Developing with Swift shouldn't involve
fighting the compiler to get the best compile time, so making this more
than a debug flag does seem odd/worrisome.

I'm more interested in the best way to get a feedback loop to understand
what the known issues are and see them addressed. This has already worked
well with fixes for big slowdown issues like SR-1277 and this well known
patch:
https://github.com/apple/swift/commit/2cdd7d64e1e2add7bcfd5452d36e7f5fc6c86a03
.

-Ben