[swift-dev] 'SwiftShims': no such file or directory

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Tue Sep 20 01:40:48 CDT 2016

on Mon Sep 19 2016, Eric Wing <swift-dev-AT-swift.org> wrote:

> I've been trying to build Swift for Linux with --installable-package
> to build a swift-package.tar.gz that I can install to another Linux
> machine.
>
> When I extract my package on the other machine, and try either
> compiling a simple print("hello world") program either with swiftc, or
> doing this in the swift repl, I get the error message:
> opening import file for module 'SwiftShims': No such file or directory
>
> I don't seem to get this problem on the machine I built Swift on.
>
> I didn't have this problem with Swift 2.3, but I'm always getting it
> now with Swift 3.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

There may be a bug in the build-script.  FWIW, the instructions in the
build-script seem to indicate the correct syntax is
installable_package="/tmp/xcode-xyz-root.tar.gz" but that's probably not
the issue.  It seems more likely that the code building the tarball is
leaving out the SwiftShims module.

--
-Dave