[swift-dev] Advice on adding PGO support

Erik Eckstein eeckstein at apple.com
Wed Sep 7 14:53:23 CDT 2016

Hi Vedant,

nice work!

> On Sep 6, 2016, at 12:36 PM, Vedant Kumar via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hi swift-dev,
>
> I've been working on some patches which add basic support for PGO to swift [1].
> What I have so far is just a proof-of-concept. I'd like to get some feedback on
> the approach I've taken.
>
> I've added support for loading profile data, matching up execution counts to
> the right parts of the AST, and attaching those execution counts to conditional
> branches. I added two fields to CondBranchInst (in SIL):
>
>  /// The number of times the True branch was executed.
>  Optional<uint64_t> TrueBBCount;
>
>  /// The number of times the False branch was executed.
>  Optional<uint64_t> FalseBBCount;
>
> I fixed up the SILCloner and a few other sites where conditional branches are
> created to propagate the branch taken counts. I have a patch to propagate
> branch taken counts through the SILOptimizer, but I didn't include it in [1]
> because I don't know how to write tests for it.
>
> In IRGen, I added some logic to scale execution counts and create llvm
> branch_weight metadata.
>
> Some questions:
>
>  1. Is it acceptable to make some SIL objects larger in order to store
>     execution counts (e.g CondBranchInst)?

Yes, I don’t see a problem with that.
But for saving some space, you might want to store the counts as a plain uint64_t instead of an Optional and use a special value (e.g. ~0) for the none-case.

> If not, what's the best way to make
>     this information visible to SILOptimizer and IRGen?
>
>  2. Is it better to associate counts with SIL instructions, or with
>     SILSuccessor?

I think storing the counts in SILSuccessor makes sense, because counts are needed for all kind of terminator instructions (like switch_enum), except for the unconditional br, but IMO we can live with wasting some bytes for this instructions.

Another thing to consider is that the count information should be printed/parsed/serialized when writing and reading SIL.