[swift-dev] What about concurrency?

Anton Mironov antonvmironov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 01:55:40 CDT 2016

> 7 вер. 2016 р. о 03:05 Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> написав(ла):
>
> On Sep 4, 2016, at 3:00 PM, Anton Mironov via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> My job is mostly consists of writing core functionality for macOS (and I love core functionality). My code must take advantage of concurrency. I've been looking for solutions that allow me to write clean and (most important) reliable concurrent code. I would love to discuss some of those solutions and find out if they are any close to what Swift team want to implement in Swift 4+.
>
> Hi Anton,
>
> Many people have thoughts and opinions on this (some held very strong, some not so much).  We hope to kick off discussions about concurrency sometime after the Swift 4 stage 1 projects are complete (with the tentative goal of getting a baked concurrency story into Swift 5).
>
> In the meantime, we’re prefer to stay focused on getting Swift 3 out the door, then move on the Swift 4 stage 1.  Thanks!
>
> -Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your response. Focusing on Swift 3 and goals for Swift 4 stage 1 are definitely more important than concurrency in any possible way.

On the other hand, concurrency is still a very important aspect for most of apps. We just cannot live without it. It might be two years from now till standardized concurrency will be in Xcode GM seed. For all this time we are bound to use own solutions.

The great thing about implementing concurrency is that it can be tried out in parallel with Swift 3 and Swift 4 development. Maybe as a Swift users community we can discuss and try out some solutions that do not require any/much language support. This will give us well-discussed concurrency implementations much earlier. It will also provide real world testing of these solutions before Swift team implementation and engraving solutions into the standard.

Thanks,
Anton Mironov