[swift-dev] Why are BinaryFloatingPoint's RawSignificand and RawExponent different type?

Stephen Canon scanon at apple.com
Fri Aug 26 19:26:38 CDT 2016

For any given concrete type, it’s pretty straightforward to map [0, .max] to [0,1) — note that this is a bit different from what you seem to have been doing originally, mapping e.g. [0, 2**52) to [0, 1):

    init(unitRange s: UInt64) {
        self = Self(s >> UInt64(63 - Self.significandBitCount)) * .ulpOfOne/2
    }

Making this generic over integer types is painful without the SE-0104 integer protocols, however.

– Steve