[swift-dev] Why are BinaryFloatingPoint's RawSignificand and RawExponent different type?

Stephen Canon scanon at apple.com
Fri Aug 26 18:47:00 CDT 2016

Assuming RawSignificand really is the type you want, I think this does what you’re looking for?

protocol BinaryFloatingPointWithBitPattern: BinaryFloatingPoint {
    init(bitPattern: RawSignificand)
    var bitPattern: RawSignificand { get }
}

extension Float: BinaryFloatingPointWithBitPattern { }
extension Double: BinaryFloatingPointWithBitPattern { }

extension BinaryFloatingPointWithBitPattern {
    init(unitRangeFromRawSignificand s: RawSignificand) {
        self = Self(bitPattern: Self(1).bitPattern | s) - 1