[swift-dev] Code coverage?

Harlan Haskins harlan at harlanhaskins.com
Thu Aug 25 12:01:27 CDT 2016

Luke Larson and I added a few things to support testing code coverage of the compiler.

You can build with

build-script -t --swift-analyze-code-coverage merged

which will rebuild the compiler with coverage instrumentation and run all the tests you've selected with coverage enabled.

Once all the tests are done, you'll get a set of .profraw files in the swift-test-results directory. Just merge them together with

llvm-profdata merge *.profraw -o swiftc.profdata

and you can use llvm-cov to inspect that data.

Note: you'll need to build swift with an upstream version of llvm and clang, because there's a very recent 'pooled' coverage system that we use.

You'll probably see that coverage is really low, somewhere around ~50%. It's that low because the coverage technically considers _all files_, including those from llvm and clang. Those files are, naturally, not tested by the Swift test suite, so they contribute a significant amount of 'un-covered' areas.

When we isolate the Swift compiler's files, I found that coverage was somewhere around 79.45%

If you need any help, let me know!

-- Harlan