[swift-dev] End of source-breaking changes for Swift 3

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Wed Jul 27 15:28:45 CDT 2016

> On Jul 27, 2016, at 1:21 PM, Jordan Rose via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Associating some proposals with their current implementers for the record…
>
>> On Jul 27, 2016, at 12:38, Ted Kremenek via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org <mailto:swift-dev at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear friends,
>>
>> Today is July 27 — and the last planned day to take source-breaking changes for Swift 3. It has been an incredible ride to this point, so let's take stock of where we are. Here are the list of currently accepted — but not yet (fully) implemented — evolution proposals (this is drawn from the "accepted" but not marked "implemented" proposals from the swift-evolution <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution> repository):
>>
>> SE-0025 - Scoped Access Level <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0025-scoped-access-level.md>This one is nearly done (me).
>

>> SE-0077 - Improved operator declarations <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0077-operator-precedence.md>I believe this is what John’s working on at the moment.
>

>> SE-0081 - Move where clause to end of declaration <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0081-move-where-expression.md>David was looking at this, but I’m not sure if it’s done.
>
>> SE-0088 - Modernize libdispatch for Swift 3 naming conventions <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0088-libdispatch-for-swift3.md>I think we can call this done.
>
>> SE-0099 - Restructuring Condition Clauses <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0099-conditionclauses.md>This is implemented; it’s just still marked as a warning rather than an error to use ‘where’.
>
>> SE-0103 - Make non-escaping closures the default <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0103-make-noescape-default.md>MichaelI has been working on this.
>
>> SE-0107 - UnsafeRawPointer API <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0107-unsaferawpointer.md>Andy has been working on this.

Also:

SE-0111 - Remove type system significance of function argument labels <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0111-remove-arg-label-type-significance.md>
I’m working on this one. This proposal is in an unfortunate position: doing it requires major changes to the type checker and ASTs. If we don’t get it in Swift 3, it will be extremely hard to implement in a Swift 4 compiler that needs to provide backward compatibility for Swift 3 code.

Let’s just hope I get it done quick ;)

SE-0110 - Distinguish between single-tuple and multiple-argument function types <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0110-distingish-single-tuple-arg.md>
I’m sorta hoping this falls out of a complete implementation SE-0111, but we’ll see.

	- Doug