[swift-dev] Random() in the standard library

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 01:46:11 CDT 2016

I am also just a random guy, and I agree with much of what Brent says, but my personal opinion is that the standard library should be allowed to grow in the future to encompass areas whose generality and usefulness are comparable to those of current standard library constructs. I would consider a sufficiently well-designed suite of PRNGs to fall into this category.

I guess what I'm saying is that, after Swift 3.0 is released, someone (maybe you!) should develop an argument as to why PRNGs belong in the standard library, and pitch it to the swift-evolution list. The worst that can happen is that people (or the core team) disagrees on principle, and at least you have an answer. But if there's interest a proposal can be drafted and taken to the review stage, at which point it'll be considered and possibly accepted.

Best,
Austin