[swift-dev] [RFC] Requiring CMake 3.4.3 by Prerequisite.

Michael Gottesman mgottesman at apple.com
Wed Jun 29 12:13:24 CDT 2016

For a long time, we have been using CMake 2.8.*. This is an RFC to make it a pre-requisite to have cmake 3.4.3 matching LLVM.

The reason to do this is:

1. It will make it easier to cherry-pick upstream llvm changes that may require CMake 3.4.3 features into Swift's cmake system.
2. It allows us to use LLVMConfig.cmake and ClangConfig.cmake to import the proper dependencies.

We especially want number 2 since it nips linker dependency issues on Linux that come up every couple of months in various forms.

If you have any questions/concerns/etc, please feel free to respond publicly on this thread or privately by sending me an offlist email.

Assuming that there is no further discussion, I would like to give a notice about the update sometime this weekend (flipping the switch next week). So please give me your feedback in a reasonable amount of time. = ).

Thanks,
Michael