[swift-dev] Open-source toolchains for Playgrounds (iOS, Xcode 8)

Kate Stone k8stone at apple.com
Tue Jun 14 18:05:20 CDT 2016

> On Jun 13, 2016, at 5:41 PM, Karl via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Wow, Xcode 8 looks like a really great release. Very impressed by the memory debugger, but it seems to have lots of really nice improvements all-around.

It's always exciting to be able to share what everyone has been working on.

> According to the release notes (http://adcdownload.apple.com/WWDC_2016/Xcode_8_beta/Release_Notes_for_Xcode_8_beta.pdf), we can now use OSS toolchains for Playgrounds on OSX, but not with other platforms.
>
> Is that a temporary limitation, or an intentional Apple policy decision?
>
>> 	• Xcode playgrounds which target macOS now support running with open-source Swift toolchains from Swift.org. Playgrounds which target iOS or tvOS require the Xcode 8.0 toolchain. (23287417, 26704661)

When open source snapshots containing playground support are released they will be limited to macOS in conjunction with the WWDC beta as the release note indicates.  The limitation is unintentional so further improvements are definitely being investigated.

Kate Stone k8stone at apple.com <mailto:k8stone at apple.com>
 Xcode Low Level Tools