[swift-dev] Standard shared libraries with executable stack

Ryan Lovelett swift-dev at ryan.lovelett.me
Tue Jun 14 07:10:31 CDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016, at 11:33 PM, Dmitri Gribenko via swift-dev wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 8:12 AM, 김종수 via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org>
> wrote:
> > I am testing Swift in "Windows Subsystem for Linux" which is a new feature
> > of Windows 10 Anniversary Update scheduled in this year. WSL is Ubuntu LTS
> > 14.04 compatible in user space.
> >
> > Swift runtime libraries such as libswiftCore.so are marked Executable Stack,
> > which have no problem in Linux.
> >
> > dlopen()'ing swift runtime libraries causes mprotect() with PROT_GROWSDOWN,
> > which is not documented but verified with strace.
> >
> > WSL has not implemented PROT_GROWSDOWN feature because of clean room
> > development.
> >
> > Swift runtime libraries had not been marked Executable Stack before Febrary
> > snapshot. And cmark and llvm/clang shared libraries are not marked too.
> >
> > ***My request is swift runtime libraries be not marked Executable Stack.***
>
> Hi,
>
> This could have been caused by our switch from the BFD linker to gold.
> Could you try linking a hello world program using gold linker and
> running it in WSL?

I _think_ this problem existed before the switch from BFD to gold.

I build and package a version of Swift for Linux. During the package
processes makepkg [1] checks the installed binaries for common gotchas
(I tried looking up exactly what is run but could not find it quickly).

My point is that I've been seeing:

swiftc W: ELF file ('usr/bin/swift-test') has executable stack.
swiftc W: ELF file ('usr/bin/repl_swift') has executable stack.
swiftc W: ELF file ('usr/bin/swift-build') has executable stack.
swiftc W: ELF file ('usr/lib/swift/pm/libPackageDescription.so') has
executable stack.
swiftc W: ELF file ('usr/lib/swift/linux/libswiftGlibc.so') has
executable stack.
swiftc W: ELF file ('usr/lib/swift/linux/libXCTest.so') has executable
stack.
swiftc W: ELF file ('usr/lib/swift/linux/libswiftCore.so') has
executable stack.
swiftc W: ELF file ('usr/lib/swift/linux/libFoundation.so') has
executable stack.

Since at least the 20160208a release, but probably longer, I have been
seeing the above errors. That predates the BFD to gold switch by at
least a month. Though I do admit I don't remember the exact date that
change landed.

I have all the build logs dating back to February 22nd if that helps in
anyway. Just food for thought.

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/makepkg.8.html